- Inspector Wellington?
- Oh William.
Inspector William Wellington, AKA the Duke,
is a man of the Victorian era.
He's grown up not recognizing women to have any agency.
- Miss Scarlet's here.
- Tell her I'm in a meeting.
- They've known each other for years.
Her father mentored the Duke.
So they sort of grew up together
and there's a familial connection between the two of them.
You were instructed by my father to look after me.
- I did look after you.
- You kissed me.
- And I seem to remember you liked it.
- And I seem to remember that I slapped your face.
- It's complicated relationship.
It's kind of, sometimes they fight like siblings,
but there's a, an attraction there.
- You are the most stubborn woman that I've ever met.
- And you have met a few, have you not?
- Duke was Henry Scarlet, so Eliza's father's protege.
- He takes him under his wing and introduces him
to Scotland Yard and a life as a copper,
which he works his way up and excels at.
Thank you, sir.
The streets of London in 1882, a very dangerous place,
very dark place for a copper, for women, for anyone really.
And the Duke is from that world,
so he understands the danger that is involved in it.
I told you to make sure she stayed in the carriage.
- I tried, sir, but she is very determined.
- But even more so, I would say, as a copper is aware
of the dangers that he faces every day, for him and Eliza.
Please do try to stay out of trouble Eliza.
For my sake?
- Course, William.